Healthy Bean Stew with Vegetables, Greek Style!
My friend threw a pot luck dinner party in Greek theme and I found this recipe which is really healthy, lowGi, vegetarian and delicious – perfect for cold winter evenings as a main dish. I modified this recipe and added olives, eggplant and roasted red peppers to bring the sweet flavours of the Mediterranean area. I also used three kinds of dried beans since I couldn’t find broad beans (works great) – this recipe is great with different textures with the combination of the beans and vegetables. I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as everyone in the party did, great for left over as the flavour is actually better the 2nd day.
Prep time 20 min cooking time 2 hrs serves 8 (side dish)
Chef’s note: I used 3 kinds of beans in this recipe (kidney beans, pinto beans and navy beans). Soak dry beans with plenty of water over night or at least 8 hours and cook beans for 5 minutes and drain, and recook for no bloating or gas.
3 cups of dry beans soaked overnight or soaked 8 hours (see instruction above)
1 tsp extra light olive oil
2 small yellow onions chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery stocks, chopped
4 gloves of garlic, chopped
2 large bay leafs
1 large cinnamon stick
1 cup vegetable stock
1 large Italian eggplant (they are firmer)
1 can of salt reduced tomatoes and its liquid
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup olives (unpitted olives)
2 whole roasted red peppers, chopped
2 tbsp chopped thyme
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp ground black pepper
Salt for taste
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven in medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent and add carrots, celery for few minutes. Add garlic, bay leaf and cinnamon stick and sauté few minutes.
- Add beans and mix well and add stock and cover and cook for 45 minutes
- Add chopped tomato & its liquid, tomato paste, black pepper and mix well and cook another 30 minutes
- Add eggplants, red pepper, olives and mix well and add ½ cup of water if needed. Cover and cook until beans and eggplant are tender over or 30 minutes,
- Fold in thyme, sparsely and cook another 5 minutes and adjust taste with salt if required
- Serve a main dish with a side salad or as a side dish with warmed pita bread!
Nutritional Analysis: 1 serving (based on 1 cup): Calories 169; Carb 28 g; Fibre 8 g; Fat 3 g; Sugar 7g, Protein 9 g; Sodium 304 mg; Potassium 717 mg