Roasting Vegetables with Zaatar (Middel Eastern) Spices!
Roasting vegetables in the oven adds taste, saves time and you can make large quantity. I love roasting Brussels sprouts in the oven as it has so much flavour than boiling them and you can add so much flavour by adding herbs, spices and favourite toppings like bacon and roasted nuts. The trick is once you serve roasted vegetables, your family members may never go back to boiled vegetables again. Here is a simple recipe for roasting even for picky eaters!
Prep time 10 min cooking time 40 min serves 6
Chef’s notes: I’ve added zaartar spice to Brussels sprouts; you can get it from any spice store or Middle Eastern store. It’s a combination of sumac, oregano/thyme and sesame seeds and it smells & taste so good and add it to any meats or vegetables. If you don’t have it, you can substitute dried oregano or Italian seasonings.
3 cups Brussels sprouts cleaned, washed and cut in half
3 tbsp canola or grape seed oil
1 tbsp zaartar spice or any dried herbs
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well with both hands
- In a large cookie sheet spread the sprouts mixer evenly and bake for 30 to 40 minutes
- Check on them often and move them around to get them roasted evenly
- When done, it should be crispy around the edges and moist in the middle
- Serve hot as a side dish
Nutritional Analysis: 1 serving (based on 1/2 cup): Calories 79; Carb 4 g; Fibre 2 g; Fat 7 g; Sodium 206 mg; Potassium 171 mg